This is one of my favourite 10 minute recipes that I love to do every week. It’s healthy and delicious too. The chia seeds provide omegas and the sweetness only comes from the fruit and any maple syrup that you choose to add. I have this on my porridge each morning, or on fresh homemade bread and it’s absolutely delicious with granola and vegan thick yoghurt.
2 cups fresh or frozen fruit (I like to use blueberries, raspberries or strawberries)
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1 tablespoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice
1-2 tablespoons maple syrup (depending on how sweet you want it)
- Get a small saucepan and add the fruit. Put over medium heat, stir the fruit, until the fruit is heated through and begins to break down. Use a spoon to mash the fruit.
- Stir in the chia seeds and lemon juice. Stir in 1 or 2 tablespoons sweetener if needed.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes. (The jam will thicken as it cools.)
- Give the jam one final good stir. Then serve immediately, or transfer to a sealed container and refrigerate for up to 1 week, or freeze for up to 3 months.
- I’ve found a teaspoon vanilla extract works well with strawberries.
- Play around and see what works for you.